STAGGERS, Harley Orrin

STAGGERS, Harley Orrin
Collection of the U.S. House of Representatives
About this object


STAGGERS, Harley Orrin, (father of Harley Orrin Staggers, Jr.), a Representative from West Virginia; born in Keyser, Mineral County, W.Va., August 3, 1907; attended the public schools of Mineral County, W.Va.; was graduated from Emory and Henry College, Emory, Va., in 1931; graduate work at Duke University in 1935; coach and teacher of science at Norton (Va.) High School 1931-1933; head coach of Potomac State College, Keyser, W.Va., 1933-1935; sheriff of Mineral County, W.Va., 1937-1941; right-of-way agent, State Road Commission of West Virginia, in 1941 and 1942; West Virginia State Director, Office of Government Reports (later Office of War Information) in 1942; lieutenant commander in the United States Naval Air Corps with service as a navigator in the Atlantic and Pacific Theaters of War 1942-1946; elected as a Democrat to the Eighty-first and to the fifteen succeeding Congresses (January 3, 1949-January 3, 1981); chairman, Committee on Interstate and Foreign Commerce (Eighty-ninth through Ninety-sixth Congresses); was not a candidate for reelection in 1980 to the Ninety-seventh Congress; was a resident of Keyser, W.Va., until his death in Cumberland, Md., on August 20, 1991.

View Record in the Biographical Directory of the U.S. Congress

[ Top ]

External Research Collections

Shepherd University
Robert C. Byrd Center for Congressional Studies

Shepherdstown, WV
Papers: ca. 1916-2002, 125.5 linear feet. The Staggers, Sr. collection consists of five series: Correspondence, Working Papers, Memorabilia, Audio/Visual materials, and Press. The collection presents strong research opportunities for the details of Mr. Stagger’s general correspondence in his capacity as a U.S. Representative, his campaigning efforts, and his work on the Interstate Commerce Committee. The collection has been split between two locations, with 70% located in the Archives of the Robert C. Byrd Center for Legislative Studies and the other 30% housed at the West Virginia and Regional History Center at West Virginia University. A finding aid is available in the repository and online.

University of Oklahoma
The Julian P. Kanter Political Commercial Archive, Department of Communication

Norman, OK
Videocassettes: 1986-1990, 2 commercials on 2 videocassettes. The commercials were used during Harley Staggers's campaigns for the 1986 and 1990 U.S. congressional elections in District 2 of West Virginia, Democratic Party.

West Virginia University Libraries
West Virginia & Regional History Collection

Morgantown, WV
Papers: 1949-1980, 133 boxes. The papers of West Virginia Congressman Harley O. Staggers include legislative files, correspondence, reports, bills, speeches, resolutions, news releases, and invitations. Legislation covers the following topics: banking, broadcasting, clean air, education, finance, international relations, the judiciary, public works, and trade. There also are records of the House Committee on Interstate and Foreign Commerce which Staggers chaired. A finding aid is available in the repository and online.
[ Top ]

Bibliography / Further Reading

Ralph Nader Congress Project. Citizens Look at Congress: Harley O. Staggers: Democratic Representative from West Virginia. Washington, D.C.: Grossman Publishers, 1972.

[ Top ]