This 1940 photograph shows the House Chamber nearly stripped bare as workers prepared to install support beams to stabilize the ceiling while repairs were made to the roof. During the monthlong installation, the House met in the Ways and Means Committee’s hearing room in the New House Office Building, now the Longworth House Office Building.
History, Art & Archives, U.S. House of Representatives, “Repairs to the Roof of the House,” https://history.house.gov/Collection/Listing/2008/2008-130-038/ (February 20, 2020)
Office of the Historian
Office of Art and Archives
Attic, Thomas Jefferson Building
Washington, D.C. 20515