Given to the House of Representatives by the French government in 1918, this vase represents both the artistry and chemistry of the National Manufactory of Sèvres, France. In 1768, Sèvres became one of the first companies in Europe to create porcelain that could compete with Chinese exports. Under the patronage of Louis XV, Sèvres flourished, holding the exclusive right to produce porcelain in France. The company survived the French Revolution and continued to experiment with new techniques. This piece's ethereal look was achieved by mixing oxides and quartz and introducing them into a high-temperature kiln. The vase represented France at the 1915 Panama-Pacific International Exposition in San Francisco, California, and was then given to the House.