During expansion of the East Front of the Capitol in 1960, it was discovered that the sandstone sculpture that forms part of the pediment was deteriorating. The sculpture’s central figure, representing America, holds a shield emblazoned with U.S.A, which rests on an altar bearing the date July 4, 1776. She is flanked by figures symbolizing justice and hope. A replacement marble sculpture, made from a plaster cast of the original, was placed on the new East Front. After the renovation, the plaster cast was put on display in the Cannon House Office Building basement, where it was photographed in 1960.
History, Art & Archives, U.S. House of Representatives, “Statuary in House Basement,” https://history.house.gov/Collection/Listing/PA2012/PA2012-04-0039/ (April 14, 2021)
Office of the Historian
Office of Art and Archives
Attic, Thomas Jefferson Building
Washington, D.C. 20515