This embroidered “C” was one of the Capitol Page School’s first varsity letters for scholastics in 1946. Formal schooling for Pages, the boys who served as messengers in the Congress, had been evolving since 1926. A space was set up in the basement of the Capitol and a limited number of Pages began to attend classes at the private, tuition-based facility. By 1931, after several iterations, the Capitol Page School was established as a privately operated school for both House and Senate Pages, and the development of associated clubs, school sports, and scholastic awards began.
History, Art & Archives, U.S. House of Representatives, “Page School Scholastic Varsity Letter,” https://history.house.gov/Collection/Listing/2007/2007-151-002/ (October 04, 2022)
Office of the Historian
Office of Art and Archives
Attic, Thomas Jefferson Building
Washington, D.C. 20515