In 1912, a visitor named Jack mailed this picture postcard of the first House Office Building. Jack’s message, “It must be lots of fun to be a Congressman. Lots of fun indeed,” perhaps enforces the idea that the new Beaux-Arts building was a cut above the usual expectations for office space at the turn of the 20th century. Built to provide space for each Representative, the Cannon House Office Building (as it is now called) opened in 1908. The press noted its many modern conveniences, including hot and cold running water, electric light fixtures, telephones, and forced air heat. As fun as it may have seemed to Jack, the building needed an expansion by the year after the postcard was sent, when a fifth floor was constructed that added 51 additional rooms.