The Bartholdi Fountain, the ice-covered star of this 1908 postcard, is a much-admired feature of the Capitol grounds. Made of cast-iron and measuring 30 feet high, the fountain occupied a spot in the Botanic Garden shown here from 1877 until 1927. Its designer, Frederic Auguste Bartholdi, was best known for creating the Statue of Liberty. This sculpture's lanterns, arranged in a ring above the caryatids—or supporting columns in the shape of female figures—made it a nighttime attraction. The fountain is now located near the Rayburn House Office Building.