The palm-lined approach to the Capitol on this 1916 postcard looks surprisingly tropical. Since 1850, the U.S. Botanic Gardens' plantings framed the western approach to the Capitol. The garden was located in the spot shown here—from First Street to Third Street SW, between Maryland and Pennsylvania Avenues—until 1933. This card was made by Baltimore-based Ottenheimer Publishers using the photochrom colorizing process. This technique created color prints from black and white photo negatives, using a lithograph process to add color to the photographic prints.