Collection of the U.S. House of Representatives, Anonymous Gift
In 1876, Frédéric Auguste Bartholdi unveiled a dramatic fountain at the International Exposition in Philadelphia. After the exhibition, Bartholdi, the French sculptor who famously designed the Statue of Liberty, struck a deal with Congress: Rather than pay to ship the heavy fountain back to France, Bartholdi sold his cast-iron structure to the government for $6,000. Frederick Law Olmstead incorporated it into his plan for the Capitol grounds, nestling it close to the Capitol, as seen in this stereoview. A 1932 relocation of the Bartholdi Fountain made it a close neighbor of the Rayburn House Office Building, which opened in 1965.