From the Jacksonian era until Prohibition, the House of Representatives enjoyed an on-site bar. Starting in 1858, the House Restaurant hosted the popular concession, illustrated in this 1897 Illustrated American print. An informal spot to cultivate collegiality, Members frequently entertained lobbyists and constituents in the dining room. This illustration dates from early in the career of the artist George Fort Gibbs, who came to Washington to study at the Corcoran School of Art. A man of many accomplishments, Gibbs also painted portraits, completed the murals in Philadelphia’s Thirtieth Street Station, illustrated more than 50 adventure stories, and wrote several screenplays.