In the spirit of Top Ten Lists on late night television, History, Art & Archives presents our ten favorite Historical Highlights and Blog Posts.
10. Diamonds Are a Girl’s Best Friend: Marilyn Monroe wasn’t the only one to know what makes a great gift.
9. A Near Fatal Attack on Representative Charles H. Van Wyck of New York: Who needs super powers? This action hero had the Congressional Globe.
8. Congress Works It Out in the House Gym: Members work up a sweat both on and off the Floor.
7. A Proposed Constitutional Amendment to Dissolve the United States Senate: One brave man tries to get the Senate to abolish itself, without much luck.
6. Weathering Washington by Watching the Weather: The day’s forecast was no small talk in the House.
5. Plating Possum: Marsupials . . . they’re what’s for dinner.
4. A Fatal Duel Between Members in 1838: When an argument between Representatives literally ended over someone’s dead body.
3. Who Kicked the Dogs Out?: Speaker Henry Clay kept the House from going to the dogs.
2. Isidor and Ida: The True Love Story of the Titanic: Hey, Rose, Ida would have shared her floating rubble with Isidor.
And the number one post is...
1. The Most Kissed Man in America: It’s gotta be the ‘stache.
What’s your favorite? Click “Recommend” for your top posts on our Blog and in our daily Historical Highlights. And make sure to subscribe to our RSS feed or follow us on Twitter (@USHouseHistory) to look out for your next favorite story about the history of the House.Follow @USHouseHistory