Back to Results
Historical Highlights

The Naming of the House Office Buildings

May 21, 1962
The Naming of the House Office Buildings Collection of the U.S. House of Representatives
About this object
An old postcard depicts the view up New Jersey Avenue, which runs between the Longworth Building (on the left) and the Cannon Building.
On this date, President John F. Kennedy signed H.J. Res. 711 into law (Public Law 87-453), naming the House Office Buildings to honor three famous Speakers of the House: Joseph Cannon of Illinois, Nicholas Longworth of Ohio, and Sam Rayburn of Texas. Prior to the designation, the Cannon Building (opened in 1908) was known as the Old House Office Building while the Longworth Building (opened in 1933) was known as the New House Office Building. A former House Member, President Kennedy laid the cornerstone for the Rayburn House Office Building on May 24. The Rayburn Building opened for occupation on February 23, 1965. Before the construction of the House Office Buildings, Members worked at their desks on the House Floor or in their boarding houses.

Related Highlight Subjects

Fast Facts

The Cannon House Office Building, completed in 1908 and later named for Speaker Joseph Cannon of Illinois, is the oldest congressional office building. The creation of offices for Members of Congress forever changed how the House of Representatives worked.

More >

Blog Post

October 23, 2014

Plastic Fantastic