Statuary Hall: The Transformation of the Old Hall of the House
The old House Chamber, now called Statuary Hall, is one of the most historic parts of the U.S. Capitol. The House of Representatives met here from 1807 until 1857, when the present House Chamber was completed. The idea of a National Statuary Hall, a sculpture collection that commemorates the heroes and innovators of each state, was introduced shortly after Congress moved to the new wing. The space adjacent to Statuary Hall, now the Lindy Claiborne Boggs Congressional Women's Reading Room, changed alongside its neighbor, hosting Speakers, Clerks, Committees, and women Members.