When the House's new Chamber opened in 1857, it boasted 262 desks in the latest Renaissance Revival fashion. The Doe, Hazelton Company of Boston made the desks according to Architectof the Capitol Thomas U. Walter's elaborate design. Function was an important consideration, as well. Wooden inkwells with cloth-lined lids were prescribed, rather than noisy metal versions. The inkwell itself was sunken into the desk so that it could not be taken by "prying messengers and pages."